Friday, January 13, 2006

Saying goodbye to a dear friend

I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness that my boss is finally leaving today. When we threw her a farewell party on Wednesday, she was almost choked with emotion in her farewell speech to us. Amid the good cheers and best wishes, some among us did shed some tears, as Victor has mentioned.


I didn't feel it then. But today, while driving home, my mind was full of thoughts of her. And found my eyes getting misty. Truly, as a boss, there's none like her, at least in my career path. Her affable and down-to-earth nature has endeared her to many of us in the office. I told myself it's crazy to feel emotional about her leaving. Bosses come and go, and in my job, I've seen it happened once too often. Andrew Matthews, in his book, "Happiness In A Nutshell" wrote that "problems begin when we get too attached to things". But the human spirits are capable of so many emotions, are they not? I'm just so sad that we have to see a good leader, and a dear friend, go.

At the same time, I'm happy for her too, for the sky is the limit for her. And with her capability, we've no doubt that she would soar high.

She left us her contact number and email. She said to give her a buzz if we're in Shenton Way, her new workplace, and perhaps we could have a cuppa. It's gonna be difficult to stay in touch, much as we want to. We have our busy lives to lead, our work to do, and our own circles of friends. Most friends, let alone colleagues, drift apart, they usually do.

I'm gonna miss her. Badly.

Category: Office

1 comment:

Victor said...

Go ahead Chris, cry if you want to. It's good to let pent-up emotions out. After all, it was you who said that it takes a real man to admit that he cried. This is not an admission that I did so on her departure. But it does not mean that I feel no sadness on her departure. It is mixture of sadness and fear of the unknown... the unknown new boss (both for you as well as for me).