Saturday, January 21, 2006

The real winners of American Idol


The new season of American Idols, one of my favourite shows, kicked off on Wednesday. I watch AI for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, it's for the entertainment value, not just from the singers wannabes, but also from the "judge, jury and executioner", collectively known as Randy, Puala Abdul and Simon respectively in the show.


I especially love watching Simon Cowell whose snide remarks, merciless and relentless, can reduce a giant to tears. Simon, who reminds me of Victor at times, always has the last say. It doesn't matter if you're good or a bad singer. In the audition episode aired on Wednesday, he praised a contestant for her good singing, and in the same breath, quipped "are we having a bigger stage this year?", a swipe aimed obviously at the contestant's weight. But he's a joy to watch.

Secondly, for the dreams and aspersions of the many Americans across the USA for a big break into a singing career. There are so many talented people who can really sing. But even if they have a voice like Whitney Houston, they are nobody if they are not given a chance to showcase their talent. You can say luck has a lot to do with it.

Thirdly, it's to be amused (and entertained) by the likes of William Hung, whose rendition of Ricky Martins' "She Bangs" in previous season, cracked many people up. William's "I've done my best and I've no regret" quip endeared him to many others. For a while, he even went on to become a celebrity of his own. Though his fame is short-lived, it shows that every dog, even the untalented one, does have his day.


Needless to say, I had a blast watching the audition segment of AI. There was even a chap dressed up as the Statue of Liberty, belting out "Dream a little dream". Alas, he sang only two words of the song before being given the boot by Simon. With his mouth agape, you could see the disbelief look in his eyes! Cruel, Victor Simon!


If the show is any indication, there are basically two types of singers:

1. Those who can really sing and know they are good.
2. Those who can't sing but think they are good.

Believe it or not, it's the latter that I truly admire. I cringe each time I hear them sing. And wonder if they are tone-deaf? Many of them can't sing a note to save their life. Yet what is more remarkable about them is that they believe in their "talents". They would tell the judges in their faces that they are the next Whitney Houston. The fact that they are not good but thought they are and went on to sign up for the audition speaks volume about their confidence. Ok, so maybe they are in self-denial, but surely these AI rejects reaffirm the adage "you are what you think you are." It has a lot to do with one's self-esteem. And in the eyes of these rejects, they are the winners.

The AI rejects remind me a lot of a colleague , who after being told that he had been passed over for a promotion, marched right up to the boss' office and demanded an explanation. Such was his confidence and self-assurance (some say "cockiness"), for he has no question that he was brilliant. And why should the management not promote a brilliant worker like him? Many of us hated his guts. But I'll be lying if I say I did not admire him for his confidence and courage to speak up. He got his promotion the following year. Hmmmm...

Back to the AI. Perhaps we could draw some inspiration from the AI rejects and believe in ourselves, that it's ok to go chase our dreams, no matter what people may say of our abilities.

Category: Musings

2 comments:

Victor said...

Wah Chris, with this post, you've have dealt a near fatal blow to this opponent. (It might be me who would have to shut down my blog instead.) I am clearly no match for your wit, humour and viciousness in writing, as is evident in this post of yours. You have more than evened the score, that is, if I was ahead in this game in the first place (which I seriously doubt). In my opinion, you are even better than Simon Cowell in sarcasm. I concede defeat. You are the real winner in this horse play.

Talking about that, with such standard of writing you should have written books instead of just blogging... and I am not being sarcastic here. It would not be over-confident of you to do that 'cos you truly have the talent. So why continue to do your current job of copywriting and proof-reading. Spread your wings and live your dream. With this, I officially hand back to you the title of 'Chris the Wordsmith', which you so inappropriately bestowed on me some time ago. You certainly deserve the title more than me.

Chris Sim said...

Don't get so touchy, Victor. Contrary to what I've always said, I do have a theme to my blog - Horsing Around. Don't take what I wrote too seriously. Take it with a pinch of salts.

Since you're in the topic of wit and humour (and viciousnss?), I think Simon Cowell fits that description to a T. You should take it as a compliment to be compared to the executioner, you know.

Would you care to be my publiser, then? Though I'm not exactly sure how many horses, mares or ponies would care to buy my books. ROTFL.