Sunday, March 11, 2007

Friendship

Unlike the gregarious Monkey who would chat up with anything that moves, I'm quite selective when it comes to making friends. That's not to say I have no friends. Rather, what one commonly calls a friend, I call "acquaintance". But as for true friends, there is only a handful, Victor being one of them.

I used to have a good friend. We clicked because we shared a lot in common. She was learning the piano, and I have been playing it leisurely, albeit amateurishly, for years. She loved Precious Moment figurines, and I was a one-time serious collector. (Victor, I know what you're thinking - don't start your nonsense now or I'd downgrade you to one of acquaintances!)

We exchanged presents on special occasions like Valentine's Day, Christmas Day and Birthdays. And we shared food often in the office. But friendship, like a flower, needs to be nurtured.

I'm very direct and hardly the kind of person to beat around the bush. I speak my mind and that makes some people take what I say the wrong way. I can be quite a joker too, and not everyone can handle my "nonsensical irritations" as well as Victor. Any wonder why I have more "foes" then friends in the office?

As time goes, I realise that she's never gotten used to my forthcoming ways. She only wanted to hear the nice things; and shut out all the negative ones that I said. There's a saying that goes, "Your enemies is actually your true friend." Why? Because he would tell you all your shortcomings in order to make you feel bad about yourself; and when you know your shortcomings, you'd strive to set them right.

And so we drifted apart. Well, we're still friends, but only on a superficial level. I used to get recycled corny smses about friendship from her. I hate these smses, finding them totally devoid of sincerity. A simple "how has your day been, pal?" would have meant much more.

Thankfully, there're friends so close, we juz feel a sense of affiliation to each other. We horse around, we monkey around, taking swipes at each other; but we're never really offended, for we know where to draw a line. These are the sort of friends who helped me fix my power adapter when it broke; recommended me plumber when my toilet leaked, took leave at short notice juz to chill out with me at East Coast, and drove me home for my pair of rollerblades while my car was being serviced at the workshop, and drove me to the workshop to pick up my car.

Of course, it's not all take and nothing given. Such friends not only deserve all my undivided attention and time in the world, they are also worthy of the unwanted but previously prized possessions sitting in my storeroom collecting dust. I generously gave them away FOC to dear friends like these. No, unlike MJM, I ain't gonna stamp a "friendship price" tag on them, especially to a good old pal like Victor.

Then there are virtual friends we meet in the blogosphere, many of them "faceless".

But how do you relate to the latter? And how much do we know each other? I think what's happening in the blogosphere is a good thing. We mere mortals are communicating more through the Blog. We are building bridges instead of walls, exchanging opinions and ideas. There's finally hope, for the human race.

But I was at once saddened by what was written by a Bloggerfriend, whom I've missing for a while, in one of her recent entries. She wrote something to the effect that she no longer wanted to waste time on virtual friends and that her time is only meant for those who are worthy of her time. She added that virtual friends wouldn’t be around when you need someone to listen to.

Well, I think that’s a fair comment. But are we expecting too much from the so-called virtual friends? Surely, common sense would tell us that virtual friends are the last persons we turn to for help or support, especially emotional help. It also depends on the comfort level we feel about each other..... But it brings us back to the question – juz how much do we know of each other?

Perhaps Andrew Matthews, in his book, "Happiness In A Nutshell" has a point when he wrote "problems begin when we get too attached to things...." or something to this effect.

Category: Musings

13 comments:

Victor said...

>...they are also worthy of the unwanted but previously prized possessions left in my storeroom collecting dust.

Okay, I know that there's no such thing as a free lunch. (Oops, sorry to all those people who have taken a free lunch from me.) I better own up first. What Chris gave to me was an old HP Deskjet 930C photo printer and a sealed black cartridge worth $49.90. When I say "old", I really mean old, 'cos when I put the driver CD into my Win XP PC, it can't recognise it. I took it out and examined the label. It says "Windows 3.1x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, 1999 Hewlett-Packard Co."

Nevertheless, despite its age, the printer still works, even with the old black cartridge that must have been left in the printer for a few years. Amazing.

I truly appreciate the gift from Chris - not so much the gift of the printer, but the friendship.

Thanks Chris.

Las montañas said...

well written. true friendship is so hard to find these days... people are just so self-centered.

Anonymous said...

I like this entry extension totally. What I've been trying to say, are all put down in this entry.. But there are more lah..

But are we expecting too much from the so-called virtual friends?

I agree with what you mentioned. But the virtual friends i was referring to, are those I've already met up with, and now drifted apart.

I also agree with what evan said, that even after meeting up, doesnt mean that they are worthy of our time too.

Life is too short to waste... I explained to GD that what I meant by wasting my time is when I sit in front of the pc and type nonscence to people instead of spending more time with people I think are worthy - people like my parents.

las montanas - true friendships are indeed hard to find these days... sigh.

Chris Sim said...

Etel
It's ok.... I guess you're troubled by other things besides virtual friends. You have friends who rally around you, and a couple of them are virtual. Victor is one, and so is ECL. I'm available too, but I guess I'm that sort who doesn't check my mails often enough. But it doesn't mean I dun care. And I do visit your blog too, even if I dun comment. But ya, we should spend more time with our family. I think I'm also guilty of not doing that.... Ultimately, life is how we make of it. If we wanna be happy, then we must strive and look for happiness. Look for the happines in your life; don't wait for it to come to you. Cheem... but juz my sentiment....

eastcoastlife said...

I have very few people who I call friends. But there are many people who call me friend. It's my problem la, having too much reservations and setting high expectations of a friend.

I'm like you, forthcoming with my comments and always very direct. I have an acid tongue...hahaha. I cannot tahan hypocrisy. Lotsa enemies. Hubby is worried I will die on the streets one day.

For those who I call friend, they know I'll risk my life for them. My character is more like that of a man.

I'm just glad to find virtual pals who are so interesting. I find that sometimes what I write cannot precisely convey my feelings at that time, what more my standard of English so low.

I envy the friendship you share with Victor. Cherish each other.

Anonymous said...

For sure, virtual friends won't be able to fix a broken adapter or drive you home, but this does not make them an unworthy listener.

Personally, I felt it harder to find "true" and "lifelong" friends when we get older. Most of my GOOD (those you can say your heart out..and "suan" each other without getting offended...just like you and Victor...hahah) friends are made during Sec. school. Few (not none) came along during working.

I only started having virtual friends when I started blogging. And I'm surprised that I could click to some on the same bandwidth. Too bad I'm missing out the popiah action to meet you all (including ECL).... Oh, what I'm saying, there are some who you will keen to meet but some will forever remain as virtual friends.

To end, virtual friends may just be observers many times but 旁观者清 !

KopiSoh said...

I think most people have only a set number of hours in their day and when spent with virtual friends mean it takes time away from so called "real" ones. Balance is easier said than achieve. To me both are equally important and needs to be nurtured but it also depends on the stage of life that a person is at currently. If I were a single 20 something year old woman, my focus would be very different from a stay at home mom in her 40s.

iml said...

Hmmm....you have me pondering. Pondering on how I view virtual friends. If I ever met up with you, LM or LCS and all those other bloggers whose blogs I read, how would I react? How would you react?

Lam Chun See said...

Blogosphere can be a very scary place sometimes. For example, I made an innocent comment (or at least that was what I thought) at this food blog and got fiercely slammed by one of the readers. Miscommunication is so easy; especially when you are rushing your comments and poor choice of words happen; plus you cannot edit. So nowadays, I am extra careful when making comments in blogs I am new to.

But of course with ‘old friends’ like the humsup monkey, we can just let go without too much worry. At most you say, "Sorri lor" later.

Victor said...

That's very clever and careful of you, Chun See. You gave a "food blog" link that does not work, so nobody knows who you are talking about and you need not say "Sorri lor" later.

I think I have the best of both worlds with Chris Sim and Chun See. (Such a coincidence that they both have the same initials!) They are both my virtual friends as well as real friends. With Chris, he was a real friend first than a virtual one. With Chun See it was the other way round.

As my good friends, they better learn to take my little nonsensical irritations, just like I learn to take theirs.

Anonymous said...

http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/

eastcoastlife said...

Chris dear,
you've been tagged! Go to my latest post for details. hehehe...

Chris Sim said...

Sorry guys for the late response to your comments, I juz came back from a short trip from Genting...

Jayne: I guess your past experiences must have moulded you into what you are today - always speaking your mind, fearless, full of empathy, and always believing in standing up for what you think is right.

Firehorse: I've lost contact with ALL my school friends! Not even in touch with a single soul, can u believe it? Hopefully, I can "reunite" with some of them in the Blogosphere, the way Victor did .....

Liling: Well, I guess we'll juz be ourselves.... Maybe one day, we bloggers can organise a trip to Penang for Penang food!

Chun See: Yes, sometimes what we wrote can be misunderstood, mainly because there's no emotion when it comes to writing. It also depends on the current state of mind of the reader. If he's feeling down or angry, what's supposed to be taken in a light-hearted manner has the potential to be misconstrued as being offensive.

Las montañas: Yes, I agreed. True friends are rare indeed, much less amongst colleagues.... But there are exception... like me and Victor... Incidentally, he's a Monkey and I'm a Dragon in the Chinese horoscope. If you believe the crap, both are supposed to be best friends! And it's proven to be true in our case! My arch enemies are the dogs. Funny thing is, I also have a good friend who's born in the year of the dog! Beats me....