Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I felt the earth move ....

No, the earth didn't really move. Rather, I felt the desk in my cubicle moved .... It was lunchtime, and the pitiful me was deserted by all my makan kakis who had apparently made prior engagements with other colleagues for lunch. I decided to lunch in, and had intended to tapau a packet of laksa from the office cafeteria later. It's okay, I'm easy about lunching alone. I enjoy my own company sometimes. Besides, some other company can get pretty tiresome and boring ... hehehe...

I didn't really take notice of the time (I'm NEVER a clock-watcher in the office....heheh). But it must has been about a quarter past 12. I was working on my computer and suddenly felt the desk moved forward for a couple of seconds, along with the partitions. Still, I wasn't that sure, thinking perhaps my hunger was behind my "hallucination", until a colleague who was sitting a couple of cubicles away from me walked towards my direction and asked if I had felt the room "shook" earlier.

That's when it dawned on me that what we felt earlier was actually tremors. We learned later that the tremors were the result of an earthquake that hit the Indonesian's Sumatra island. Some of my other colleagues who were in the office felt it, too.

At some part of Singapore, tremors lasting as long as 25 seconds were felt. Buildings in the CBD areas reportedly swayed and were evacuated for safety reasons.

When I was in Taiwan years ago, there was an earthquake, or should I say tremors that occurred in the middle of the night. But my colleagues and I were so tired that we weren’t even aware of it and actually slept through the tremors like a log! It was only when dawn cracked that we learned of the earthquake from our Taiwanese hosts. I reckon that the tremors, no matter how light, are more palpable to the Taiwanese who have lived in earthquake-prone Taiwan all their lives.

But this time, it's for real. After the Tsunami that hit the region, experts warned that one day, earthquake could hit Singapore, too. If this happens, I dun think our buildings, including those of the HDB flats, are safe. About 80% of our population live in HDB flats, which, I believe, are not designed to withstand earthquake or tremors. The engineers back then were probably saying, "Earthquake in Singapore? Nay, never happened and never will!". But the naysayers are saying that one day, it will happen! We better pray that that day never comes...

Category: Musings

11 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

I heard on radio that the 1st one struck at 10 min to noon. I was working in my 'office' at home but didn't feel a thing. But when I was in Japan, I experienced a solid 5.6 and minor tremors were very common.

Anonymous said...

Just last week, we felt some light tremors in Silicon Valley too, due to an earthquake some miles away. But California is earthquake-prone. Scary! Everywhere also not safe one. When I keep buggin my hoobie abt returning to S'pore...he said "S'pore will also kena earthquake"...but then I thought...different probability mah!

Victor said...

That's why the smart alecs opt to stay in landed properties. LOL.

Chris Sim said...

Victor
51 already better wise up. The Indonesians who lived in ther zinc-roof "landed properties" were not spared, what makes you think those living in private homes here will be?

Chun See
So did u hide under the table? I saw documentary that's how they advised the Japanese to do so if they are in door when earthquake strikes.

Tigerfish
Naysayers predicted that there's gonna be a BIG ONE in California sometime in our lifetime.... better pack up fast!

Victor said...

Chris, landed properties here are much more sturdy and steady than those zinc-roofed ones in Indonesia lah. Forgot to add that those smart alecs are also the kiasi type.

Lam Chun See said...

I was watching tv in the recreation room of our trg centre in Tokyo. At first I thought the guy behind me was rocking my chair. Then the African guy in front of me turned around and asked me, "What are we supposed to do?" I told this was also a first time for me.

Lam Chun See said...

In the hotels, we were told we can 'take cover' in the toilet, becos the entire toilet (very small) is made of 1 solid cubicle. But that was 20 yrs ago. Not sure about now.

eastcoastlife said...

I experienced an earthquake tremor a few years back. We were living on the 18th floor of an apartment. It was the scariest moment of my life as we made our way down the stairs. I shall blog about it.

Las montañas said...

you were humming that Martika song when it happened? LOL.

Chris Sim said...

I think so las montanas... But alas, all the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put Sumatra together again ... :(

Chris Sim said...

I think Martika has a song called "Toy Soldier". How apt. Haha...