Monday, March 26, 2007

H2O

A good friend of mine, let's call him Eugene (for he really looks like an old dear friend of mine who's called Eugene and with whom I've lost contact over the years) came over to my place last Saturday. He was there for a purpose - to do a sales pitch. See, Eugene is into this healthcare products by Elken. He was trying to get me interested in the Elken Pure Water Filteration and Purification system. The water system claims to clear away the many impurities in our water - impurities that cannot be totally got rid of even through boiling.

According to the salesman Eugene, the impurities or contaminants found in our water are categorised as follows:


  • Biological comprising bateria, viruses, parasites
  • Organic Chemicals consisting of pesticides, herbicides, industrial chemicals
  • Inorganic Minerals which include lead, nitrate, arsenic, asbestos, dirt & sediments
  • Disinfection by-products - one of which is Trihalomethanes; a mouthful but THM in short, and responsible for the 10,700 or more bladder and rectal cancers in the US per year alone.

Quite unnerving, isn't it? And you thought boiling water is safe.

As if this is not enough, Eugene produced two gadgets from his briefcase, and asked me for two empty clear glasses. He filled the first glass with boiled water taken from my house; and the other one with "purified" water he very shrewedly conveniently brought from his house, supposedly from the Elken purification system. Then he put what looked like a thermometer in the first glass. The digital reading in the gadget indicated 13. "That's the level of impurities in the water," he said. The he switched over to the 2nd glass, and it registered ZERO impurity.

Admittedly, I was a little sceptical. Then Eugene took out another gadget that looked like some kinda heating rod, juz that it has two rods attached to a black box, which he plugged into a wall socket. Within seconds, foams started forming from the water obtained from my house, gradually turning brownish black in colour. "Again, what you see here are the impurities from the water that has not gone through the purification process," Eugene announced. The other glass of water was clear as crystal.



At this point, I was totally convinced. And I asked, “How much?” “Usual price, $2200,” Eugene said. "But you can have one for $1880. You can also pay by installment, interest-free!" Does Eugene expect me to jump up in joy or what? I don’t believe in living in credit one.

I'm sorry if I've made Eugene look like a swindler. Because Eugene really is not. He's a good friend, a very strong believer who also happens to be working in the same office as me. So, I was almost 80% certain that I’m getting the water purification system. I reckon if it’s something that we put into our mouth everyday, and for the sake of my family, and myself, what's $1880 for good health? And for one and all?

Problem is, there are so many water purification systems of various brands in the market - Amway, Diamond, Aqua Technology and Elkan just to name a few. Which one should I trust? Anybody out there has one of these purification systems? Appreciate some advice, please. Thanks!



Category: Musings

22 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, for a while there, I thought this was a another case of an elderly who got conned by the classic stone-makes-water-turn black trick - until you tell me that Eugene is our colleague, that is. I think I know who he is so I better not say anything more. Just tell yourself that it is money well-spent.

Anonymous said...

Hahahha...no kidding...before I opened up this comment box, I was thinking of the "magic stone" too!

I wonder where this wave of water purification systems came from (Hyflux or what?). For many years, it's been pretty safe to drink boiled water, and even water from the tap, in Singapore.

It's funny. In Singapore, used to drink boiled water, but after coming to US, we started using (buying) RO(reverse osmosis) water for drinking and cooking. The water regulations are just different in different states/cities/towns. Some say safe, some say not. Totally confused!But because I'm not so familiar with the US water treatment system(as if I am with the S'pore one...hahah), just played safe loh.

I think most water purification systems are based on RO, ultrafiltration, or distillation. They remove different-size particles (just like Victor's bio-ceramic rings for his aquarium!). So it just depends how pure you want the water to be. Can be never-ending one lah!

Nobody has done any scientic expt to prove it right? Must start from young and check life expectancy lah! Coz water is something we consume regularly. All the so-called impurities and contaminants accumulate over a long time.

The other perspective, 不干不净,反而没病! Hahah!

Suddenly, i feel like i'm writing an essay :O

Anonymous said...

Been lots of discussion over this type of products. Health benefits are not exactly proven, else why dun all the hospitals install it?

Also, water that is too pure is not good for health anyway...if not, they wouldn't have to pump newater in to the reservoirs before they pump to our homes.

Whether to installl still remains ur personal choice..

Shilpa said...

Hahaha, me, too, me too, I thought it was that magic stone business! But I'd be skeptical too, leh, especially with the water turning such a dark brown. Cannot be that bad, right? I don't seem to see people getting sick drinking tap water leh (ie people like me).

Chris Sim said...

Magic stones? Kept you guys in suspense, didn't I? hehehe

Victor: I know lah... I buy and try out first. If it's good, then u buy, rite? U think I'm your guinea pig arh?

Tigerfish: woa, u so knowledgeable hor? 不干不净,反而没病? That's so true. It's because we are so clean that our kids fall sick so easily these days. Anyway, my friend told me that water purification system like this is frowned upon by our gods here in Singapore. We have to be assured that our Newater is safe for drinking. That's why i neber see such advertisement in the mass media here leh...

CJ: I posed that question to my friend; ie I tot some amount of minerals found in our tap water is essential for our body? He said the useful minerals in our natural water is too negligible to be of beneficial value to us. It's as good as not having any. That's why, he continues, we get the minerals from other supplements and food .... This salesman has the gift of the gab hor? LOL.

Shilpa: Well, who knows? The effect might not be immediate. Maybe years later down the road?

Lam Chun See said...

Aiyah, you have survived 40+ years without this thing, can easily survive another couple of decades lah. After that, if the water doesn't get you, something else would. Nearly $2k leh. You think money grow on trees is it?

Victor said...

No Chris, knowing you, you'll probably feel that the gadget is an impulsive buy a few weeks down the road. Then you'll not even name a friendship price and pass the gadget for me to use free-of-charge. (Remember the free printer you gave me two weeks ago?) I am waiting for that day. Haha.

CS - What's 2K? We CS are getting our performance bonus in 2 days' time leh. You don't have ah? Aiyah sayang.

Victor said...

Chris - I thought that our water agency added fluoride to the water so that we will have strong teeth by drinking tap water? Could the brown colour be caused by the fluoride in the water? If fluoride is removed, then are you removing a good thing?

Anonymous said...

Hahahahah, Chris, go ask Victor for the bio-ceramic rings and do the water test. Almost same concept! Time Victor give you something :D
(BTW, anyone of you know ECL's condition arh?...You all in Sg, maybe easier to get updated)

Anonymous said...

I have a docment from WHO, "Nutrients in drinking water", (World Health Organization, 2005) which cites that that water with low mineral content is bad for health.
The link is http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientsindw.pdf

pay attention to chapter 12(pg 148 onwards) or 150 only if u really dun have time..

I think its worth reconsidering your purchase..

Chris Sim said...

Woa thanks a zillion CJ. I have to mull over this .... perhaps show it to the "salesman" and see what he's got to say.

Victor, yah.. but I read too much floride is also no good. Let's hear Eugene out ...

Tigerfish - I think you need the bio-ceramic rings more than I do. I'm NOT a fish. YOU are. Remember? LOL.

Victor said...

Tigerfish - You are touching on a very sensitive subject. What do you mean by "time Victor give you something"?

I already gave Chris lots of things - the recent booby prize being just one of them? And it's not because he's in sg that I did so. With the Internet, no one is too far away, am I right?

Lam Chun See said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lam Chun See said...

Chris. How come nowadays no music on your blog? Can u teach me how. Want to try and upload some oldies to go with my nostalgia.

Anonymous said...

Chris, now I'm even leaving comments for Victor on your blog :O
You all really inseparable leh!
Victor, sori lar...how I know both of you treat each other so well?

Victor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victor said...

Tigerfish - No need to say sorry lah. I am not offended so easily wan. Don't take me too seriously hor. I only forgot to type in the 'haha' part for my last comment mah. Sometimes, you have to read between the lines. Haha.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See:
I removed the song because my good friend Victor complained that each time he tried to assess my blog, there was an error message. Most time, he couldn't assess it at all if I have the song in the background. I think the problem lies with his PC which is almost a museum artifact already. I dun get complaints from others. See, where to find a friend like me so good, sacrificed for a friend. But now that you've expressed interest in putting up song in you blog, I think I'd do it too. The heck with Victor. LOL.

Chris Sim said...

Thanks everyone, I've decided to put on hold the purchase of the water system. Thanks to CJ for the WHO article. I hyperlinked that to the salesman. He read it, said the article was interesting but added that there are various trains of thots when it comes to whether something is good for us mere mortals. The scientists are always doing "flip-flop". This moment, they are tell us this is good; next, they are saying it's no good. We are at their mercy.... I think I have a post about that somewhere. I like it that this salesman is not pushy about it. But I'm not ruling out buying the water thingy totally. I quite like the idea of never having to boil water with the kettle again .....

Anonymous said...

Victor, I never take you seriously mah! You n'er read btw the lines meh? Hahahha!

Anonymous said...

haha man...very interessting exchange between all of you guys... good good - didn't realise my humble sales explanation could generate so much debate =)

Chris Sim said...

Ben! Now you've given your ID away! No offence taken, ya? Juz a light-hearted ways of looking at things in life. I may come back to you on this .... keeping my option open for now...