Thursday, March 08, 2007

Home Cafe - Authentic Thai Food

When it comes to food, my family isn't very adventurous. We dun eat out often mainly because the Queen of the house hates crowd. It is an unwritten rule in my family that I, the man of the house, are to buy dinner home every evening. I always joke with my colleagues that I can't stay back for OT because my wife and kids would die of hunger if I do. Ha!

Even if we do eat out, more often than not, it is to nearby places in the neighbourhood, usually within walking distance. And we would order dishes we are familiar with. If it's not sweet and sour pork, then it's claypot chicken. Or we'll have KFC or Long John Silver, the kids all-time favourite. Boring, I know - told you we weren't adventurous. That explains the very little posts I have of food, other than those home-cooked ones I whipped up at home once in a while. Gee, I'm even ashamed to call myeslf a "foodie" :(

Last Sunday, the last day of CNY known as 元宵(yuan xiao), my family including my parents, my brother and his wife (less the Slim Lady who was on seminar) visited our 5th Aunt at Potong Pasir. At the end of the visit, my sister-in-law announced that she wanted to buy us dinner for having passed her ACCA examination. My aunt told us of a little restaurant in the heart of Potong Pasir that serves authentic Thai food that's cheap and delicious, and whipped up by Thai.

So we headed for this restaurant, simply named, Home Cafe - Authentic Thai Food.



These are the dishes that we had:


Fish Maw soup ($6). I'm not really fond of fish maw - it looks like fat to me. And I thought the soup was a wee bit too starchy for my liking.
Dish rating:



Tom Yam Seafood Soup ($5). Tom Yam soup has always been one of my favorites, but this was a big disappointment. It lacks the "oommpphh" factor. I think there was not enough spice ....
Dish rating:



Egg Onion Omelette ($4.50). This was good. I dunno how the cook did it; but the egg omelette was fluffy, very unlike those we fry at home.
Dish rating:



Sambal Kang Kong ($4.50). I don't like Kang Kong very much (in fact, I dun like MOST veggie), even those cooked by my mum. But the one served here is quite good. The only set-back is the excessive amount of oil used, probably from the sambal chilli.
Dish rating:



Fried Glass Noodle ($4.50). This is one of the best dishes. My mum knows how to cook this dish too, but the one served here is moist and not too dry, unlike my mum's. It was really fragrant and tasty. I've never tasted one that's better then this!
Dish rating:



Boneless Chicken with honey ($5). One of their signature dishes. The chicken pieces bathed in honey is juicy and crispy. Junior loves it, but I suspect mainly because it's fried!
Dish rating:



Claypot Chap Chai ($5). Another dish my mum cooks occasionally. But I like my mum's one better because over here, they dun cook it with "Tau Kee" (beancurd "sheets").
Dish rating:



Fish Cake with mango sauce ($5). This is the Thai Otah. I like the version here because they are not chunky like those found in other Thai restaurants. But I didn't like the mango sauce though. It's too sweet and I'm not used to eating Thai fish cake dipped in sweet sauce.
Dish rating:



Steamed Seabass with lemon grass ($22). This dish should have been five stars out of five! The most expensive dish, but it is also the most delicious! The fish was very fresh, and the sauce, smelling of lemon grass was extremely tasty! I remember reading one of Tigerfish's posts (I tried searching for that entry without success)on lemon grass which is commonly used as a herb in Asian cooking...... You've got to try this dish!
Dish rating:

Phew... so there you have it, a total of NINE dishes for about 13 people. The bills came up to about $124 but wait... we ordered two sets of each because there were two tables! So if you're a family of juz 4-6, you can order exactly the same dish and expect to pay no more than $62, much less if you juz order a few of these dishes. Best of all, there is no service charge and the restaurant absorbs GST. Service wise, the waiters are attentive and they topped up the ice water without being asked.

Home Cafe
Authentic Thai Nonya Cuisine
Blk 148 Potong Pasir Ave 1
01-67, Singapore 350148
Tel: 6471 1138/6479 0118
Fax: 6475 7355/6286 3248

(Disclaimer: I'm not, in any way, related to the employees or owners of Home Cafe. Neither do I own part or any of the shares in Home Cafe. The opinion expressed here is mine and mine alone, all done voluntarily and willingly, for the gastronomical joys and pleasures of all foodies out there! Photos, all without photoshop tricks, are courtesy of Nokia N6233, my latest toy :))

Category: Food

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which entry you looking for ?
This or this.
Lemongrass very aromatic right? I also use them in Assam Fish :D Yum yum.
That Tom Yum soup look very diluted leh. I trust your rating.
No service charge and no GST! Good deal hor! Was it crowded? In Potong Pasir leh(the "hammer" zone)...LOL!
Now only 1020am and just after breakfast and I feel so hungry liow! 你报仇 ah!

I don't think "gu loo yok" and claypot chicken is boring leh...comfort food leh! If don't know what to order with a long list of menu, can't be wrong with all these all-time favs!

Chris Sim said...

Oh.... yes! The first one! Wow... add a stalk in iced tea? I think I'm gonna try it!

I think the Tom Yum soup looked diluted because it's almost filled to the brim of the claypot. Doesn't look very appetising, does it? Sometimes, too much of a good thing is actually not good. Juz a small portion to make people crave for more is the trick!

BTW, is there coconut in Tom Yum soup? I don't think have, right?

iml said...

Hmm.....and I was not aware of this eatery though I just live round the corner from here.

Victor said...

Treat from somebody can't complain lah. You must look like a weirdo to your relatives, taking photos of all the dishes instead of saying grace before you eat. LOL.

eastcoastlife said...

I like Thai food! I used to go to Thanying at Amara Hotel, I love their dessert spread! When I go to Bangkok, I go crazy! Not only over the food but also the shopping la! hahaha....

There's no coconut in Tom Yam soup. There are two versions of Tom Yam though, one is the spicy red looking one and the other is a clear soup but when you take a sip, your tongue goes on fire! Shiok!

Chris Sim said...

Liling
Then you must give it a try! It's not expensive and u won't go wrong if u order the egg omelette and the steamed fish...

Victor
Was I complaining? I'm juz evaluating the dish wat. Anyway, one man's meat is another's poison. Since u and yr family eat out often on weekends, why not give it a try. I've no doubt you'll like the steamed fish...

Jayne
Thanks for the clarification on the Tom Yam soup. The one here seems to be the clear soup one. Not pedas enough, though... Why not give it a try? You may run into Mr Chiam, who knows?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the remcommendation. Must check out the place one of these days. My family also very unadventurous. Always order the same old dishes, one of which is sambal kangkong which my youngest loves.

Anonymous said...

Remember..you must "bruise" the lemongrass (use the back of a cleaver or a slightly heavy knife -give a few hard knocks on the bottom white part) before adding into your tea, so that the flavors will infuse into the tea. I think I will also try it one of these days too :D
Time to make Tom Yum soup one of these days too!

KopiSoh said...

Hi 1st time here, did a double hop now it'll take me a minute (actually more like two mins due to old age) to retrace my steps....oohh ya came from Doc Chan's blog to Peppermint's blog to yours. Nice pics of food made me drool, long time since I had such delicious meals. I also like youre previous post.

Chris Sim said...

Tigerfish
Thanks for the tip! Woa... tom yum soup... looking forward to licking my monitor again .... sigh..

Firehorse
Welcome! You can't really be of "old age" if you can do multiple hops! Woa... your blog is so full of animation and graphic.... Cool!

KopiSoh said...

What can I say I am a kid at heart :o)

Chris Sim said...

Victor
You're right. My dear mom asked me what I was doing snapping fotos of the dishes. I've to ask her to refrain from "digging" the food. She scolded me "SEOW!"....

Victor said...

>She scolded me "SEOW!"

And rightfully so. Haha.

Lam Chun See said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lam Chun See said...

But maybe not as seow as snapping fotos of bras and sausages and condoms

Victor said...

Woah, after I've taught Chun See how to look for old posts in a blog, he puts it to good use right away. Now who says the elderly can't learn fast?

Mr Lam, ni seow jian duo guai (你小见多怪). The Internet has lots more risque photos which I shall not link here, for fear of contaminating Chris' blog.

Chris Sim said...

Of course, one of the risque fotos is your ugly and abnormal,"happy" feet. We've seen enough. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

wow.. I see all the food I am so hungry..

Alex G said...

Now, where are the desserts?