Saturday, April 14, 2007

One Earth


Everything, it seems, has a price tag in Singapore these days. Soon, there's gonna be a price tag for plastic bags at Ikea, though it's not the first store in Singapore to do so. And, of course, there's price tag for clean and good governance, or so claimed the gahmen.

Kudos to Ikea. Comes Earth Day 22 Apr 07, Ikea Singapore would be introducing its BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag) policy at its chains here. In an advertisement on the ST yesterday, Ikea reported that Singaporeans used up to 2.5 billion plastic bags last year. Plastic is made from Polyethylene which takes up to 1000 years to biodegrade. Most of these plastic bags end up in landfills that emit harmful greenhouse gases such carbon dioxide (CO2). Now, CO2 and other heat-trappping gases are responsible for retaining the heat in our atmosphere and thus, contributing to global warming.

There's no doubt about it. The Earth is sick, very sick. We read about global warming and how it's affecting the earth everyday in the papers. This has effected me enough not to install a multiple split unit AC for my home. I told the Slim Lady we would juz have to bear with the heat (in order not to contribute more heat to our environment). I said if we can't handle it, then we should all sleep in the nude lor. Isn't my strategy cool (no pun intended) or what? Hehehe...

Jokes aside, recent climate change has jolted some world leaders out of their slumber. But what are our authorities in Singapore doing? Is it not time the NEA come up with a blueprint on how Singapore should tackle the effect of global warming? Say, for example, draw up some legislation and impose a legal limit on the amount of industrial CO2 emission? Ooops sorry, I'm no minister and I'm not paid well enough to think up solutions for the gahmen, you know. Of couse, the authorities are juz too busy with other concern to really care about global warming.

But we individuals can do our part. For me, I've decided not to have AC at home. And I've resorted to using hanky instead of tissue papers. I was also thinking of giving up my car. When I told Victor this, he laughed it off and said something to the effect that "I'm just a small voice in the wilderness". The implication is that "I dun make a difference". That's precisely the kinda mentality some environmental activists want to correct. Global warming is here to stay; there's no turning back. But if we, each and every one of us, care enough to be pro-active and make a concerted effort not to choke our Earth further with CO2, I think there's hope yet for mother Earth. Every little gesture, individually or as a whole on the community level, does count and make a DIFFERENCE.

For a start, why not BYOB when you're shopping at IKEA or NTUC today? We dun have to wait until Earth Day...

Category: Musings

11 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

I have been a strong supporter of BYOB cause. I bring my own trolley and bags to the supermarket.

In Taiwan, the shops and supermarkets do not provide plastic bags, you have to pay for it.

I am just a small voice in the wilderness but my actions have prompted my son, some of my friends, neighbours, students and relatives to follow suit. It will take time, but soon after, the message will be spread. Let's do our part, no matter how small a part we play...... start now.

Victor said...

Chris, my constructive comments are here.

Chris Sim said...

ECL:
Nice to hear you're a supporter of BYOB. Hey, you should devote a post on saving the earth in your blog (not telling you what to blog hor). You're famous and popular and your blog certainly reaches a wider audience. It's for a good cause ;)

Chris Sim said...

Victor:
Dun try to be funny hor. Cannot post your comment here arh? Lay chey!

Anonymous said...

No AC at home? I kowtow you. I will melt!
CA has some legislation on the CO2 emission. And I think Sg has too much else on agenda eg how to increase gahmen's pay, than to think of these.
I don't even think gahmen is giving out a lot of incentives(is it or is it not?) for using electric/hybrid vehicles(less pollution). I still feel electric/hybrid vehicles is best for small city Sg. But too bad, if use electric/hybrid vehicles, the petrochem industry will die in Sg. and world-wide. Cannot offend the conglomerates and the real filthy rich.

Shilpa said...

haiz, it's about time man... over here, BYOB has been around for some time and I couldn't be happier about it! had many arguments with my MIL over this 'cos for a long time, she kept threatening to write in to the relevant authorities to complain about how supermarkets are trying to earn easy money from plastic bags.

wah lau, auntie missing the point man, after the third time I told her to bring her own ****ing bag so that she don't have to pay for any (which is the whole point), she shut up for good, haha!

You mean NTUC is also implementing this? Tell me, hor? I don't want to kenah played out when I go back, heh heh!

Chris Sim said...

Tigerfish:
No incentive to use hybrid car here lah. It's more expensive to buy one also. Speaking of hybrid cars, you think the motor companies really care about global warming? I read that Toyota, famous for the hybrid Prius, is also lobbying Washington against stricter fuel standards. Ultimately, if it hits their bottom line, then they don't want to take about saving the Earth. There's juz too much hypocrisy around....

Chris Sim said...

MIL or MOL (Mother out-law)? wahaha... Haiya... old pple are like dat one lah...

No, NTUC is not going green. In fact, it's one of the worst culprit. I understand that sometimes, the dry foodstuff have to be separated from the wet ones to prevent cross contamination. But most of the times I see the cashiers using the plastic bags as if there's no tomorrow....

Chris Sim said...

Call this intuition. According to today's ST, NEA has persuaded 200 shops and seven supermarket chains to participate in an event to get shoppers to BYOB every Wednesday. Shoppers who resist will be asked to pay 10 cents for each plastic bag they take. Well, it's about time!

Lam Chun See said...

I support the BYOB campaign but I keep thinking of those F1 cars racing down our streets - get them mad.

Anyway, I think all those pessimistic forecasts of the earth are too optimistic. Read Revelation.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See:

I heard from Victor. My condolences...

Yah, we Singaporeans must have a piece of the pie lor. I read that we missed the boat many years ago when the gahmen rejected the proposal to have F1 in Singapore. Then it went to Sepang. Now, the gahmen is trying to make up for lost time.

Woa, those "pessimistic forcasts too optimistic"? Sounded very grave.... Better go read my bible now..