Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A betrayal of a charitable act?

Victor Koo is absolutely right. My stress level does have an impact on how often I post entries in my blog. It does seem that my posts go up proportionately when I'm feeling the stress. The past week when I was on course in the SAF, I was totally spent and yet found time to write on my blog. Only because a blog, to me, is really a therapeutic outlet to vent my grips and frustrations... And now that my life has gone back to civilization and my stress level has gone considerably down, I have less need for this outlet. :)) Or so I thought....

These past two days, my attention, and many of those in this tiny island state, was riveted on the NKF CEO's high salary and bonus, all played up in the court room. This followed the CEO's lawsuit against SPH for what it considered was a defamatory article on how how NKF lacked the transparency on how it was being managed, and how public fund meant for kidney patients are being used to pay the ridiculous high salaries and bonuses of the staff in NKF. The charges also included expensive fixtures like gold-plated taps and $1100 toilet bowl being installed in the shower room of the CEO's office.

Even as I write, more than three thousands people are terminating their monthly donations to the NKF. Fifteen thousands have gone on line, signing petition and demanding the CEO to step down. The NKF Headquarters was also vandalized with the word "Liar" spray-painted in red.

Sadly, the real victims of this saga are the beneficiaries of the NKF. They are none other the kidney patients undergoing dialysis and awaiting transplants. It would be sad indeed, if the patients who can ill afford the treatment are denied the financial aid, all because of the doing of one man.

1 comment:

Victor said...

Regarding the NKF fiasco, it is a classic case of "when you do right, nobody remembers but when you do wrong, nobody forgets". I can't help but feel some sympathy for the man in the news. After all, he's only human and not infallible. But we are human too and it's just human nature to criticise and judge someone whom we think fall short of our standards.