Saturday, July 02, 2005

Weekend blue...

Feeling rather lethargic and tired today, even though it's a Saturday. And I don't expect it to get any better tomorrow. My mind is pre-occupied with the 1-week training in the SAF camp next week. It's really not something new to me, having served in the army for 10 years and the last 13 years as a reservist. The buggers in the camp - they're not people whom I've not met before. And I'm all too familiar with the way these buggers run the show. Nothing is ever on schedule. When they say meet and assemble at 1000 am, the regulars would show up at 1030 am or later. Waiting games is the order of the days (and the nights) for these buggers in the SAF.

Nothing in the army surprises me anymore. So I can't quite figure out why it's pulling me down. I suppose it's the break in my daily routine life that eats into me. Instead of starting work from 7.30am to 5pm as I normally do at work, I'll have to start my day from 8am to 6 pm during the course. What's more, we're expected to stay back for some night training. That's the SAF way. And it seems that I've no choice but to abide by the rule....bringing inconveniences not only to me, but also to the slim lady, junior and senior junior ...

More somber news on the young men who collapsed while jogging. An article in the newspaper today suggests that high cholesterol may be the reason behind the death of these seemingly healthy men. The writer quotes the chairman of the Singapore Heart Foundation as saying....

"...Apparently healthy youths may have high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure or be pre-diabetic - putting them at risk of sudden heart attacks and stroke. Such problems could cause plaque to build up in their arteries. Ironically, exercise could have ruptured the plaque, leading to their death..." unquote.

He also advocates that young men be checked for cholesterol and blood glucose levels during their pre-enlistment check-up. Treatment for affected men could be as simple as taking an aspirin a day. More importantly, these measures will save lives.

Clearly, there're larger issues in life than my "Weekend blue" brought about by the SAF. Trying to stay positive....

No comments: